Senior Care Under the Independence Program (VIP)
The Veterans Independence Program (VIP) is a national home care program provided by Veteran Affairs Canada (VAC). The program was established in 1981 to help clients remain healthy and independent in their own homes and communities. VIP does not replace other federal, provincial or municipal programs but instead it compliments these programs when necessary, to best suit the client’s needs.
If you are a Veteran and qualify for VIP, the services you receive will depend on your circumstances and your health needs. These services may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Grounds maintenance, including grass cutting and snow removal;
- Housekeeping, including help with routine tasks such as doing the laundry, cleaning your home, or preparing meals;
- Personal care services to assist you with personal needs, such as bathing, dressing, and eating;
- Access to nutrition services, like Meals-on- Wheels and Wheels-to-Meals; and
- Health and support services provided by health professional
Other services include;
- Ambulatory (out-patient) health care for certain health and social services provided outside the home, such as adult day care, and travel costs to get to these services;
- Transportation costs to foster independence, for activities such as shopping, banking, and visiting friends when transportation is not otherwise available;
- Home adaptations to modify things like bathrooms, kitchens and doorways so that it is easier for you to do basic everyday activities such as prepare a meal, maintain personal hygiene, and sleep. Home adaptations do not include general renovations or repairs; and
- Nursing home care when living at home is no longer practical and you need a greater level of nursing and personal help.
For specific details of the VIP Program, visit the VAC website:
Full Circle Home Care is an authorized provider of care under the Veterans Independence Program (VIP). We are familiar with the process and would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding home care services for our veterans. We will do our part to help make things go as smoothly as possible.